Applying is easy!


Applying to the program

Students may apply for formal admission into the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Program after admission by a department. The application letter must be endorsed by an authorized representative of the student's department (faculty advisor or graduate director), is addressed to the Directors of the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Program and sent to its Graduate Assistant. The letter should include a statement of one's research interests including which aspect of hydrologic sciences (physical, chemical or biological) one wishes to pursue and text giving permission for copies of admissions materials to be sent to the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Assistant. It must be accompanied by a completed application form (doc) (PDF). Admission to the program will be based on an assessment of the applicant's academic background, training and potential research interests.

Application to the Hydrologic Sciences Program should consist of:

  1. A letter to the Program Directors stating: (a) Interest in the program, including Certificate or Ph.D., (b) The department(s) to which a formal application is being submitted, (c) Potential faculty advisor or contact(s), (d) Permission for copies of admissions materials to be sent to the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Assistant,
  2. A copy of undergraduate transcripts or a list of undergraduate courses (and grade received) which are related to the undergraduate prerequisites of the program,
  3. A copy of the statement of research interests, which is included as part of the department application,
  4. A completed application form (doc) (PDF)

Send your materials to:

Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Program Attn: Graduate application
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309

Admission to the program will be based on the department's decision, plus an assessment of the applicant's academic background, training and potential research interests.

The Hydrologic Sciences Graduate program is research oriented; thus every student's coursework and research is designed individually. This means that the chances of acceptance into a departmental graduate program are substantially increased if prospective students individually contact prospective research and faculty advisors. Prospective students should look through the various current research programs in the participating departments , associated Institutes, and government agencies. Acceptance often requires an individual faculty recommendation. Your chances of acceptance and obtaining possible financial aid are thus greatly enhanced by establishing individual contact with a prospective faculty advisor (see Faculty).


After review of the application and formal approval by a Co-Director of the Hydrologic Sciences Program, the student is notified by letter that he or she is accepted into the program. Copies of this letter will be sent to the Graduate School and to the Graduate Coordinator of the home department. PhD Degree students will then complete forms required by the Graduate School to change enrollment from the original degree program to the Hydrologic Sciences Degree program.


Students are encouraged to contact the Graduate Coordinator for information about scholarships to support some or most of their education and research. Possible sources include

  • NSF Graduate Research Fellowships,
  • NSF GK12 Fellowships (grad students work part time in a K-12 classroom)
  • EPA, STAR Fellowships
  • Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship
  • NPSC National Physical Science Consortium Graduate Fellowship.
  • USGS research projects directly support graduate students in several research areas, contact the Graduate Coordinator or USGS scientists for potential opportunities.


The leading edge of seasonal streamflow, Von Guerard Stream, 2000, McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. Photo: Chris Jaros (INSTAAR).


Site built and hosted by INSTAAR